3 Is the Number of the Counting: The Lair's Third Birthday

Hello loyal Legion-Lairs, and welcome to the 3 Year Anniversary of The Lightning Bug's Lair. Way back in 2008, on a rainy evening not unlike this very one, I decided on a whim to take up blogging. After penning my first review of Sleepaway Camp, I was hooked. I never expected a single person to ever take notice of my little corner of the Interwebs. Instead, I've made some great friends, have over 265 blog followers, and about the same amount on Facebook. I've been nominated for a Total Film Blog Award, guest hosted The Gentlemen's Guide to Midnite Cinema, had a quote in a movie trailer, and got to do a commentary track with one of my favorite directors. I could go on telling you folks how stellar I am, but you already know. What I really want to say is how awesome you guys are, but more on than in a bit. First, let's look at the Lair by the numbers.

3 Years
Over 600 Movie Reviews
300,000+ Page Views 
by
200,000 + Unique Visitors
from 
All 50 States
and Over 115 Countries
(Top 5: US, UK, Germany, Canada, France, Italy.)

Top Posts by Page Views
1. B.L.O.G. Presents I jumfruens tegn [a.k.a In the Sign of the Virgin] (1973) -- Three years of page views have proved it, if you write a post about nubile, young, sex crazed Swedish girls, they will come. With over 6000 page views, virgins take the top honors. 

2. B.L.O.G Presents The Wicker Man (1973) -- While the film is a solid favorite among horror and  cult movie fans, I attribute most of the 3000 page views to the picture of NOT Britt Ekland's ass. If there's one thing that people like only slightly less than virgins, it's naked ass. 

3. B.L.O.G. Presents Eugenie (1969) -- Again proving that the bulk of my audience is the kind of sick, twisted pervs that I love, Jess Franco's softcore sex flick based on De Sade's writings  comes in third on the list. 

4. Ursula Andress Undressed for Dinner -- An early review of Martino's At The Mountain of the Cannibal God has proved to have legs, but I have a sneaking suspicion that many people are clicking over looking for other portions of Ms. Andress. 

5.  Halloween Top 13- The Remake #7: The Ring (2002) -- Bucking the trend set out by the first four posts, people love to read about The Ring. I just hope no one dies seven days after reading my review. 

Top Search Keywords
1. I jumfruens tegn -- No matter the language, people love virgins. 

2.  Jennifer Billingsley - Playboy Bunny and star of The Thirsty Dead

3. Camille Keaton - Star of I Spit on Your Grave


4. Brenda de Banzie star of The Man Who Knew Too Much

5.  Cassandra Peterson a.k.a Elvira

Now I thought on the other hand maybe I should look back at my favorite posts over the past three years. So now that we've seen what the masses love. Here's my picks.

The Bugg's Top Posts
1. The Stuff: You Are What It Eats -- I love this movie, and I love this review. While it veers into some overtly political territory, it strikes a balance between humor, review, and opinion that I'm always trying to hit. 

2. Psycho - I knew when I posted about Psycho I had my work cut out for me. There had just been so much written about the flick. So I knew I had to go big or go home. So spread over 3 posts, I penned my most epic review to date. 

3. 13 Things I Love About The Fog -- John Carpenter is one of my favorite directors, and The Fog one of my favorite films. The fact that the events unfold the same date as my wedding anniversary makes it way too cool. I have had to swear to my wife that I didn't plan it that way, but it gives me a great reason to sit down every year and watch a great flick with my best gal. 
4. Horrorhound Recap: The 80's Slasher Panel -- I wish I could go out and report back on things like this every day. I loved being able to share a little of my Horrorhound experience with you guys, and I hope to bring more things like this to you in the future. 
5. Two Dudes Abide: The Big Lebowski in 2011 -- The most recent ones are often my favorites, but this one encapsulates everything I try to do here at the Lair.

And that bring us back around to you folks. While I never expected anyone to read my work, I cant thank you enough for taking time out of your life to spend with me at The Lair. If I could, I would personally love to thank all 200,000 of you. Sadly, I can't do that. So I want you all to know this. Without you, I'm just a guy talking into the darkness. With you, I',m a guy talking dorkness. I prefer the later. 

Thanks for 3 great years. Here's to 300 more. 



7 comments:

  1. Wow, I can't believe it's been three years! Back before I started and when I started blogging, the Lair was one of a small handful of blogs that I read before I knew much about the medium. I always have respected and enjoyed what you do here and you were certainly a major influence to me when I started.

    You put forth a lot of heart, thought and passion in what you do here, and I truly appreciate it as a reader and a fellow blogger. Also, I must say that you are genuinely one of the coolest people I have become acquainted with on the internet and am happy to have been able to hang with you in the real world, and I hope to again in the near future!

    Congrats my friend, and here's to another 3 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your third year in the trenches! I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many happy returns to my favorite internet cousin! I echo what Matt says above, I have extreme respect for both the blog and the man behind it and hope for many more years of horrific bliss from the Lair! Congrats! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! 3 prolific years is quite the acheivement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huge huge bundle of congrats. I can't imagine the blogiverse without The Bugg!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy blogiversary! Woo!

    Also, I love Brenda de Banzie so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the well wishes. I'll see you all back here next year and the year after and the year after and the year after and the year afterand the year afterand the year afterand the year afterand the year afterand the year afterand the year afterand the year afterand the year afterand the year afterand the year afterand the year afterand the year afterand the year afterand the year afterand the year afterand the year afterand the year afterand the year afterand the year afterand the year afterand the year afterand the year afterand the year afterand the year afterand the year afterand the year afterand the year afterand the year after

    ReplyDelete