C'Mon Attractions: Bond Goes Boo, Ghosts Get Fishy, and A Board Game Gets Sunk

Hello and welcome once again to everyone's occasional favorite feature C'Mon Attractions, where I look at the newest trailers and see what looks good and what looks misunderstood. Now, I don't want to be a hater, I want to be a facilitator. So this week I'm mostly going to talk about films I would actually like to see.

First up is Dream House. Here's the official synopsis,
Some say that all houses have memories. For one man, Successful publisher Will Atenton (Daniel Craig), who quit a job in New York City to relocate his wife,Libby (Rachel Weisz), and two girls to a quaint New England town, his home is the place he would kill to forget. As they settle into their new life,they find they have unknowingly moved into a home where several grisly murders were committed...only to find themselves the killer's next target.

From what I can see from the trailer, it looks like it will take some parts from ghost films and blend them up with motifs recently explored in Triangle and Time Crimes. While I'm not a big Weisz fan, I do like Danny Craig a good bit, and I plan to check this one out. It goes for a pretty strong creep factor, and unless everything is there in the trailer, I think it has a good chance of getting there.

Next up is Paranormal Activity 3. After PA2, I wasn't really feeling like I needed another installment in this series, but there seems to be something here that interests me. 
We are excited to tell you that the Catfish team of Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman have come aboard Paranormal 3. Jason Blum and the original creator Oren Peli are back producing with Steven Schneider and Akiva Goldsman executive producing. Christopher B. Landon, who served as a writer on last year’s hit sequel is back, and so are your sleepless nights.





I wasn't the biggest fan of Catfish, though I will have to say that the twist caught me completely off-guard. I find it interesting that the third film will link the fist two and provide a background for the story, and the late '80's setting gives the proceedings the proper Poltergeist-esque feeling.

Lastly, I have to talk about one crazy ass piece of crap. I'm talking Battleship, people. That's right, Milton-Bradley's game of Numbered and Lettered destruction has been turned into a major motion picture coming to theaters near you.
Peter Berg produces and directs Battleship, an epic action-adventure that unfolds across the seas, in the skies and over land as our planet fights for survival against a superior force. Based on Hasbro's classic naval combat game, Battleship stars Taylor Kitsch as Hopper, a Naval officer assigned to the USS John Paul Jones; Brooklyn Decker as Sam, a physical therapist and Hopper's fiancée, and Alexander Skarsgård as Hopper's older brother.






I have no idea how this got made or why. I know I've been hearing about a number of films based on board games, but I never honestly thought that they would see the light of day. Still to come, look out for Pirates of the Caribbean's Gore Verbenski to make us all miss the '80's version of  Clue, Micheal Bay's company to summon Ouija (again already done in the 80's under the title Witchboard), Candyland from the director of Enchanted (the only one that sounded at all interesting to me), and Ridley Scott filling a dystopian future with monocles in Monopoly. 


When any of those films roll the dice, you better bet I'm going to be there. So join me back here next week for another installment of C'Mon Attractions. 

3 comments:

  1. Candyland as directed by Bernard rose (director of Candyman)? Maybe that would work?

    If the rumors are true, Berg had the idea for a naval war movie featuring aliens and attaching Battleship was the only it could get made. Doesn't make sense but the trailer looked entertaining enough if you don't think of it as being based on a board game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't believe the people they got to be in it. The cast is stellar, and in a way I look forward to the inevitable new Battleship game where one side gets to place alien battleships.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought about the tie-in game. Just imagine the 60 dollar console version of Battleship complete with cut scenes from the movie.

    Still, like i said, the trailer looked like big dumb fun and the cast is awesome. Probably wait for DVD, but I'll see it I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete